Majority of women will experience constipation at a certain point in the course of their pregnancy. Constipation is the 2nd most prevalent gastrointestinal discomfort in pregnancy, nausea being the most common. Pregnancy constipation is experienced by more than 40% of pregnant women.
Causes of Constipation During Pregnancy
- Pregnant women have a higher progesterone hormone level which is good at calming muscles. The downside is that it slows down movement in the gastrointestinal tract which results in constipation.
- Motilin hormone is important in stimulating gastric activity; this hormone is reduced during pregnancy resulting in constipation.
- Some supplements taken during pregnancy such as calcium and iron may cause constipation.
- Several medications including pain-killers and antacids cause constipation.
- Pressure exerted on the intestines from the uterus in the last trimester often causes constipation.
Remedies for Constipation During Pregnancy
- Increasing water intake; it’s pretty easy to get dehydrated when pregnant. Taking more water keeps constipation at bay.
- Increase fresh vegetables and fruits in your diet; these contain a lot of fiber.
- Take probiotics supplements; this increases the levels of healthy bacteria which is important for general health in pregnancy
- Exercise; exercising facilitates normal bowel movements which prevents constipation.
- Supplements; increase the intake of vitamin C supplements. These supplements are water-soluble, safe and play a big role in relieving constipation.
- Herbal remedies; you need to be very cautious about consuming herbal teas or any other herbal remedies during pregnancy. Ask advice from a qualified TMC practitioner.
- Massage therapy; belly and back massages helps in improving motility in the gut which relieves constipation or prevents it all together.
Chiropractic care is excellent in relieving pregnancy constipation. The main aim of chiropractors is to prepare the bodies of the pregnant women for birth as well as any benefits that come along with it. Chiropractic treatments facilitate better motility in the gastrointestinal tract which can help to relieve constipation during pregnancy.
- Causes of Insomnia during Pregnancy
- How to Get Yourself to Sleep During Pregnancy
Spinal Place offers all new chiropractic patients a free consultation to determine whether or not our services can benefit you. Our chiropractors will assess your posture, pain and medical history. There is no charge for the consultation and absolutely no obligation. To take advantage of our free consultation, please fill out this form: