Chiropractic and Pregnancy
The body produces various hormones during pregnancy that help to relax ligaments in a woman’s body. The absence of these ligaments simply means that the baby’s head can’t pass through the pelvis. These hormones, combined with the extra weight from the pregnancy may leave you sway-backed and loose limbed; this can cause quite some damage to your spine.
- Chiropractic care helps the lower body to be properly aligned which facilitates easier birth as well as correcting any damage that may be caused to the spine.
- It’s also believed that chiropractic care helps in controlling morning sickness, reduces the risk of having a miscarriage and lowers the risk of pre-term deliveries.
- The ability of the pelvic muscles to be relaxed after the realignment has made it possible for babies who are breeched to turn naturally, by themselves.
What You Should Know Concerning Chiropractic Care in Pregnancy
- Ensure that the chiropractor offering the care is properly trained to handle pregnant women
- You must not be made to lie flat on the back when receiving treatment, especially in the last trimester
- Be sure to first check with your ob-gyn if it’s safe to have your spine realigned
There are no undesirable effects that have been reported in pregnant women after having their spines adjusted. Chiropractic and pregnancy has been a subject of research; the results have shown that the treatment helps to reduce back pain that is associated with pregnancy.
Although the treatment is relatively safe, caution must be exercised to avoid any contraindications that may arise as a result of the realignment; some of which include premature labor, ectopic pregnancy, cramping, vaginal bleeding and toxemia.
- Causes of Insomnia during Pregnancy
- How to Get Yourself to Sleep During Pregnancy
Pregnancy Joint Pain
- Causes of Joint Pain in Pregnancy
- How to Manage joint Pain in Pregnancy
Spinal Place offers all new chiropractic patients a free consultation to determine whether or not our services can benefit you. Our chiropractors will assess your posture, pain and medical history. There is no charge for the consultation and absolutely no obligation. To take advantage of our free consultation, please fill out this form: